Low income home energy assistance program extension: individuals may become eligible for the suspension on utility terminations before the deadline of May 31.
Iowa Utilities Board - Emergency Order
211 is a free, comprehensive information and referral system linking Iowa residents to health and human service programs, community services, and more. It’s a one-stop source of information. You can explore their website for specific resources or speak/text with a staff member (https://www.211iowa.org/contact-us/).
Disaster Assistance funds are available for individuals with COVID-19-related needs from March 16, 2020 and forward. Call 319-259-9218 - all intakes will be completed over the phone. More information on the website link below.
Governor Reynolds has allocated federal CARES Act funds to assist Iowans who have been economically impacted by COVID-19 and may be facing housing hardships. This program will provide short-term relief to income-eligible renters and homeowners who are at risk of eviction or foreclosure. Click here for more information.
Housing Recovery Hotline:
If you are at imminent risk of eviction or foreclosure and need legal assistance, Iowa Legal Aid may be able to assist you at no cost.
Student Legal Services (SLS) provides free legal advice and low-cost representation to University of Iowa students on a variety of matters including but not limited to: criminal law, landlord/tenant law, small claims, consumer, divorce, and employment. Students can request appointments via the SLS website https://legal.studentlife.uiowa.edu, or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Staff is currently seeing students via Zoom and regularly posts relevant COVID-19 updates on its website and on social media (@UIStudentLegal).
The application for assistance for electric bills through LIHEAP has been extended to June 30, 2020. There are several criteria, one being that the electric bill needs to be in the student's name that is applying. Check out the link below for more information.
The Basic Needs Program uses funds provided by a variety of donors to help Johnson County individuals and families with basic needs such as:
Housing and Utility Assistance
- Eligibility: Must be living in Johnson County, Iowa and have a past-due housing, water, or energy bill. If there is a threat of disconnection or eviction, you must be able to pay all but the last $100 on the bill. You can receive financial assistance for housing and utilities up to two (2) times per year. Once you have received assistance, you must wait sixty (60) days to apply again. Unfortunately, the Basic Needs Program cannot help with phone bills, cable bills, insurance bills, taxes, vehicle repairs, or medical bills.
- Birth Certificates and Identification
- New Employment Work Items
- Clothing & Household Items
- Bus Tickets
- Eye Exam and Glasses Assistance
- Prescription Medication Assistance
- First, apply for the Free Medical Clinic pharmacy program. If the Free Medical Clinic cannot help you, the Basic Needs Program can assist once in a 12-month period with up to $25. Bring a rejection note from the Free Medical Clinic along with your prescription and its cost at your pharmacy to the Food Bank during regular operating hours.
- Temporary Mailing Address
- Box Fans
- Birthday Bags for Children
- Emotional support (via phone, chat, or text at 1-855-325-4296 or IowaCrisisChat.org)
*Quantities are limited, and individuals can call (319) 351-0128 weekdays from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM for more information to sign-up
For more information, please visit The Basic Needs Program website.
Browse all resources
- Agape Café
- Clear Creek-Amana School District - Free Meals
- CommUnity Foodbank and Delivery
- Coralville Community Pantry
- Free Lunch Program of Iowa City
- Free Meal Map - Johnson County Area
- HACAP Mobile Food Pantry
- Hawkeye Meal Share
- IC Compassion - Food Pantry
- Iowa City School District
- Iowa Food Bank Association/Feeding America
- Johnson County Food Delivery Line
- Map of Resources in Iowa City and Surrounding Areas
- North Liberty Community Pantry
- Salvation Army - Food Services
- State & Federal Food Programs
- UI Food Pantry