The Basic Needs Program uses funds provided by a variety of donors to help Johnson County individuals and families with basic needs such as:
Housing and Utility Assistance
- Eligibility: Must be living in Johnson County, Iowa and have a past-due housing, water, or energy bill. If there is a threat of disconnection or eviction, you must be able to pay all but the last $100 on the bill. You can receive financial assistance for housing and utilities up to two (2) times per year. Once you have received assistance, you must wait sixty (60) days to apply again. Unfortunately, the Basic Needs Program cannot help with phone bills, cable bills, insurance bills, taxes, vehicle repairs, or medical bills.
- Birth Certificates and Identification
- New Employment Work Items
- Clothing & Household Items
- Bus Tickets
- Eye Exam and Glasses Assistance
- Prescription Medication Assistance
- First, apply for the Free Medical Clinic pharmacy program. If the Free Medical Clinic cannot help you, the Basic Needs Program can assist once in a 12-month period with up to $25. Bring a rejection note from the Free Medical Clinic along with your prescription and its cost at your pharmacy to the Food Bank during regular operating hours.
- Temporary Mailing Address
- Box Fans
- Birthday Bags for Children
- Emotional support (via phone, chat, or text at 1-855-325-4296 or IowaCrisisChat.org)
*Quantities are limited, and individuals can call (319) 351-0128 weekdays from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM for more information to sign-up
For more information, please visit The Basic Needs Program website.
Disaster Assistance funds are available for individuals with COVID-19-related needs from March 16, 2020 and forward. Call 319-259-9218 - all intakes will be completed over the phone. More information on the website link below.
211 is a free, comprehensive information and referral system linking Iowa residents to health and human service programs, community services, and more. It’s a one-stop source of information. You can explore their website for specific resources or speak/text with a staff member (https://www.211iowa.org/contact-us/).